Taylor Swift’s Midnights is amazing. After she blessed the world with Midnights and the extended album, Midnights (3am Edition), Swifties all over the world have been listening to every song on repeat. I’ve had several listens already and came up with the best line from each song off the album.
1. “I’m damned if I do give a damn what people say.” — Lavender Haze
This is a great reminder that you shouldn’t care what people think about you. The people who truly matter won’t care what other people say and will love you for you.
2. “How the hell did we lose sight of us again?” — Maroon
Oversights in relationships are all too common; they involve people, and people are complicated. There’s no blame placed here, but simply an acknowledgment of human fallibility and how we can sabotage our relationships without meaning to.
3. “I have this thing where I get older/but just never wiser.” — Anti-Hero
This entire song feels like a personal callout to every insecurity I’ve ever had, and I love it for that. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way, but a reminder goes a long way.
4. “Life is emotionally abusive.” — Snow On The Beach
This song didn’t have to go there, but it did. With the pandemic and everything happening in the world, life does feel emotionally abusive.
5. “Everything you lose is a step you take.” — You’re On Your Own, Kid
Even though this song is about loneliness, this line is hopeful. There’s a saying about how life seemingly falling apart is actually things coming together, and that line sums it up perfectly here.
6. “I guess sometimes we all get some kind of haunted.” — Midnight Rain
Maybe I’m reading into things too much, but this song feels like a callback to Speak Now’s Haunted, and it also came out around Halloween, and I appreciate both those things. There’s no denying that some faded relationships stay with you—for better or worse.
7. “You painted all my nights a color I have searched for since.” — Question…?
The metaphor is beautifully vivid here. After Red, it’s nice seeing metaphors to colors describing emotions and experiences used expertly.
8. “I don’t start shit/but I can tell you how it ends.” — Vigilante Shit
This is my favorite new revenge song. I love how this line especially is unapologetically badass. It speaks to my soul as an Aries in particular.
9. “Putting someone first only works when you’re in their top five.” — Bejeweled
I love how thoughtful and wise this line is. You shouldn’t spend your emotional energy on people who don’t appreciate you the same way.
10. “I’ll be getting over you my whole life.” — Labyrinth
These painful lines about potentially ended relationships always get to me. Even if you just started, it can be hard not to worry what would happen when everything ends, and that’s just life.
11. “Ask me why so many fade/but I’m still here.” — Karma
After all the stuff Taylor Swift went through during her Reputation era, I love how she’s proud that she’s still standing. I’m proud of everyone who’s had to stand up for themselves in the hardest of times.
12. “To you I can admit/that I’m just too soft for all of it.” — Sweet Nothing
There’s nothing wrong with being soft, especially in a world that tries to harden you. We need more softness in the world, and we need more people who appreciate softness.
13. “No one wanted to play with me as a little kid/So I’ve been scheming like a criminal ever since.” — Mastermind
This is a Freudian excuse for being manipulative, but it’s also sad. Not everyone grew up with friends or ones who were close, and I know all too many of us still feel this way as adults.
14. “We’re burned for better.” — The Great War
Sometimes we have to go through conflict to grow as people. You can become a better person from hardship—and grow at the same time.
15. “You were more than just a short time.” — Bigger Than the Sky
This line is heartbreakingly beautiful because it’s so full of regret. This person made an impact on your life, and you want to let them know that—even when it’s all over.
16. “Romance is not dead if you keep it just yours.” — Paris
People often say romance is dead, but I disagree. If you find the right partner for you, romance is not dead. You create your own magic when you meet the right person.
17. “You know there’s many different ways that you can kill the one you love.” — High Infidelity
Cheating hurts, period, not to mention other emotionally inflicted wounds. Those can often be harder to heal than physical ones.
18. “I’m fastening myself to you with a stitch.” — Glitch
This is another clever metaphor. It captures the feelings of meeting someone you want to stick with forever so well.
19. “Memories feel like weapons.” — Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve
We’ve all experienced trauma to varying degrees, and those memories that stick with us leave so many wounds. We can heal, but that doesn’t mean it still won’t hurt.
20. “If you don’t recognize yourself, that means you did it right.” — Dear Reader
We all know change can be painful, and some of us are more resistant to it than others. But change is the only constant in life—and it’s one of the best ways we can grow as people.
This list could be way longer if I wanted it to be. These songs have at least one other line I’m in love with and it was hard to pick just one. Taylor Swift has always been a talented songwriter, but she somehow seems to outdo herself each time she releases a new album.